We are part of the NHS in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin. Our team have been reviewing midwifery care for women and their families.
The review has looked at the way that midwifery care is currently delivered to women across Shropshire and Telford& Wrekin, whether it meets the needs of families and how they could make improvements in the future.
Why are we writing to you?
We would like to meet parents who have children at your school and also have younger children ages 0 – 4. We would like to hear and learn from their experience of midwife care.
These meetings will last 60 – 90 minutes and could be after drop off in the morning or just prior to pick up in the afternoon.
Why does the NHS need your help?
We want to hear from a wide range of people especially those who rarely share their wealth of experience and knowledge either because they don’t know how or they don’t think anyone will listen to them or they simply don’t have the confidence to attend public events. This is why we want to come to them in an environment where they feel safe and comfortable – your school.
Evidence suggests that children who have good early years support go on to do better at school – we need to work with you.
What is required from you?
- The provision of a room that can hold 3 – 8 adults (and maybe a couple of toddlers!)
- Distribute a prepared and printed letter from the local NHS to parents
- Support us to identify ‘less heard parents’ – frequently these are parents who come from low income households, they may be less proactive in expressing their views formally and are more likely to experience inequity in accessing services for themselves and their young families. They may also be parents who have a mental health illness; are also a carer; have a disability. We can make specific arrangements to ensure they can take part including one to one appointments.
What will we do?
- Provide a letter for distribution to parents
- Deliver a high quality discussion group that abides by good governance procedures
- Ensure you receive a copy of the themes gathered from the discussion for your records
- If there is a question that it would be helpful for you to have discussed in relation to early years support we can add this into the discussion and provide the feedback to you.
When will these discussions take place?
We would like to talk to parents between 30th September and 23rd October at times convenient to your school and the parents.
If you would like to support these discussions we will introduce you to Fiona Ellis, Programme Manager, NHS Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group to provide assurance about the staff who will lead these discussions and that all data gathered will be held in accordance with strict NHS policies. More information can also be found here: https://www.shropshireccg.nhs.uk/get-involved/engagement-and-consultation/transforming-midwifery-care/
If you would like to learn more before committing to hosting one of these discussions, please contact us via ‘reply’ to this email or call Kate Manning on 01743 277500, ex 2413
With thanks and regards